My Pro-Flight Switch Panel Not Fully Functional in FSX

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
LimaPapa
Airman

My Pro-Flight Switch Panel Not Fully Functional in FSX

Post by LimaPapa »

Hi guys,

I have another puzzle for you,, I finally have my Pro-flight Switch Panel (PfSP) working with FSX (a longish story in itself but sorted now), and it is working fine with my GA aircraft collection however, with the P-51 mil it seems not fully functional as follows:

PfSP Battery on/off switch has to be toggled to on, back to off, then on again to work (in cockpit battery switch works ok with mouse selection).
PfSP Alternator switch not working at all (again, works ok when selected in cockpit with the mouse)

The following PfSP switches all working ok when selected from the panel: Magneto selector, Fuel pump, Pitot heat, Cockpit lights, Wing position/Nav lights, Instrument lights, Tail position light, Landing light and Landing gear handle + respective position lights. So just the battery and alternator switches not functioning correctly.

Not sure if this has been raised as an issue before or if there is a fix?. Grateful as always for your time

Kind regards

JohnC

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: My Pro-Flight Switch Panel Not Fully Functional in FSX

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello John,

any hardware that is programmable will require programming for correct use per aircraft, anything that is not programmable and built only for default relaxed realism level aircraft will have issues with the more complex add-ons.

Not sure what switch panel you are using as I am not a user of such things but are you using LINDA, or SPAD.Next etc for extra programming/mapping functionality?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

LimaPapa
Airman

Post by LimaPapa »

Hi Lewis,

Thanks, yes it's the Logitech (formerly Saitek) Pro Flight Switch Panel.

I've only recently got this panel functional within my FSX setup, so has not been an issue before now (and still isn't really as I do still have a fully functional P-51). As all the switches are working as advertised with FSX GA aircraft and all but the Battery and Alternator Switch within the P-51, I thought I'd run it past you guys first just in case this had cropped up before. Just a shame it's only those two particular switches,,,

I'm was not aware of LINDA but took a look at SPAD.next setup & tutorial earlier and that does look it may be the answer and also seems like it will be fairly straightforward to set up and configure the panel (until it isn't,lol,,).

I'll monitor this post to see if anyone else had trod a similar path, otherwise thanks again for your time

Regards,

JohnC

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Aha okie dokie, in that case yes Spad should have you squared away. For the Saitek stuff it became somewhat of a requirement for the advanced capabilities of getting them working with the wide range of more advanced simulations, including our Accu-sim range.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi John

Using the manufacturers software caused a LOT of people a LOT of problems, including me. I use Spad.next and am very happy. I have 2 switch panels and a radio setup in my P-51 pit seen in the topic
here: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=40795&start=465 I also have different profiles for the P-51 CIV and P-51 MIL as well as the P-40. Spad.next is the way to go. I'm not an expert but I'll try to help.

Two can be seen in this pic, one on the center control box and 1 under the shroud. The second switch panel is placed above the radio when I fly the CIV P-51.

Hope this helps.
Ed

Last edited by Raceguy on 10 Jul 2020, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

LimaPapa
Airman

Post by LimaPapa »

Thanks guys,

Lewis, thanks for the steer, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a trick and potentially heading off on an unnecessary download quest.

Ed, wow, what a super, super setup you have. I've admired some simpits and the time, effort and pure passion that people have put into them but yours is surely the best I've seen. I went through your whole thread and absolutely enjoyed reading through your journey,,,

On topic: I installed the trial version of spad.next and spent a whole afternoon and evening experimenting with profiles, and am still no further forward in terms of functionality with the Logitech (saitek)switch panel, in that it all works as advertised with GA aircraft (with or without spad), and mostly with the A2A Mustang as listed above, though still double toggling the battery on/off switch and alternator switch not responding at all. In cockpit selections by mouse click are all working fine, so not a showstopper by any means.

My trial version of spad has LVARs enabled and is communicating with FSX via 'simconnect',, FSUIPC is off as it is not installed.

Following the spad manual and online tutorials, I have tried a number of variations of battery on/off and alternator on/off combinations from the simconnect menu but all with no further success thus far.

I think I may have read a key point within your simpit thread in that you are also using FSUIPC (+LINDA) with your various switch and gauge allocations. So would I be right in thinking that I also need to install FSUIPC and allow Spad to communicate with the switch panel using the FSUIPC switch settings menu rather than simconnect?. or am I simply not accessing the right part of the spad menu system?

Any and all help and guidance greatly appreciated

kind regards,

JohnC

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi John and thank you for the kind words regarding my pit. It has been, and sometimes still, is a journey with no end in sight but I have learned a lot during the process.

I am no expert with Spad.next, or anything else, if you listen to my wife. I learn something new each time I work with Spad.next and will try to offer some solutions. First, have you confirmed that there are no Logitech drivers or software installed for the panel?

I do have the registered version of FSUIPC installed so you may see more options in my information.

Here is an example of a setup I created to activate the P3D auto pilot in the MIL P-51. Click on a switch to select. Click Add Event which offers 3 options; Switched ON, Switched OFF and Scripted event.

I selected Switched ON which opens this screen. You can see in the upper left that the switch is called Master Battery, even though it is not controlling the battery anymore, as that is the default name and it shows (Switched ON) to let you know the mode.

Click on Add Action and select Change Data value

I searched for autopilot and selected the line in blue. The second arrow shows the function I selected for the Switched OFF option.

Select the function and click on OK to bring up this window.

Set the parameter to 1 and click OK.

I hope this helps.

Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

LimaPapa
Airman

Post by LimaPapa »

Hi Ed,

Thanks for a comprehensive reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to put that together for me.

On the first point, yes Logitech 'Control Panels' and 'FSX Plugin' are both installed. I had noted on other forums that panel drivers should be uninstalled,, however, I was just a bit reluctant given that I had only just managed to get the switch panel functional with an updated driver provided by Logitech support. If the solution is SPAD.next with FSUIPC then I'll go ahead set up appropriate recovery files and uninstall the Logitech drivers.

Following through your tutorial, I had followed a similar process in my previous attempts,, so at least confirmed I was working along a similar process.

The difference being that once I got as far as 'Add Action', I was selecting 'Send Simulation-Event' and then making my switch selections using the 'Simconnect' actions menu (FSUIPC not installed). Otherwise same process as you, just different path.

So my previous failings may have been partly due to the Logitech 'Panels' and 'FSX Plugin' still installed, but it does look like a higher probability of success would be achieved using the Spad.next and FSUIPC combo. Particularly if, like yourself, I wanted to re-arrange the switch panel actions. One that springs to mind would be to re-map the 'Cowl open/close' function on the switch panel to 'Engine Start switch' for the P-51.

I will be away from home for a week or so from Wednesday, so will probably park this project for now until I get back then carry out each step one at a time and try to avoid setting up a conflict.

Thanks again in providing another piece of the puzzle.

Take care and stay safe,,

John C

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”