Autopilot

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Artur
Staff Sergeant

Autopilot

Post by Artur »

Noticed on civilian Mustang that when changing between autopilot modes, hdg to nav loc or vice versa sometimes cause ailerons to stuck in weird positions, like fully up or fully down.
Remedy for that is to switch off autopilot move stick a bit and then engage autopilot again.
If confirmed then maybe that small bug will be fixed on next update ? :wink:

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Autopilot

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Artur,

Is there any more info you're able to provide to help us reproduce this behaviour? For example, which host sim are you using, and are you changing AP modes with mouse clicks or another method? Also, are you using any utilities such as FSUIPC?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Dear Nick, answering ur questions - FSUIPC only freeware and not configured for any option, autopilot operated by mouse only, sim P3D 4.5 HF2.

Another question is why cannot use ALT hold when in NAV LOC mode ?
Have to switch to HDG mode, flip ALT hold and then switch from HDG hold to NAV LOC - is it ok ?

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Artur wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 02:01 Another question is why cannot use ALT hold when in NAV LOC mode ?
Have to switch to HDG mode, flip ALT hold and then switch from HDG hold to NAV LOC - is it ok ?
That's not normal. I quite regularly use the A/P on climb to flight planned altitude and have no issues engaging ALT hold while in NAV LOC mode.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Hi Rob

Please do as follow - flying on established alt and course with engaged autopilot modes ALT & LOC NORM please switch off ALT mode, using trim wheel pitch up a bit to change altitude and then try to re-engage ALT mode.
Is it possible ?, cause my autopilot immediately disengage both ALT and PITCH modes.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Artur,

Yes, something doesn't sound right there but I'll confess that I'm not really 'current' on the Century III autopilot in the P-51 Civ so I'll have to reacquaint myself with its modes. Will get back to you when I've done this unless anyone else is able to figure out the issue in the meantime.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Artur wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 10:35 Hi Rob

Please do as follow - flying on established alt and course with engaged autopilot modes ALT & LOC NORM please switch off ALT mode, using trim wheel pitch up a bit to change altitude and then try to re-engage ALT mode.
Is it possible ?, cause my autopilot immediately disengage both ALT and PITCH modes.
Hi Artur,

I will definitely do that. As soon as buddy is finished installing my upgraded internet ( :shock: yay 8) ), I'll fire up the sim and let you know.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Artur,

I can confirm that my Century III autopilot operates exactly as it's supposed to with no issues in any mode. With NAV mode engaged and tracking a VOR radial or GPS track I leveled the airplane with ALT hold then disengaged and continued the climb in PITCH mode then re-engaged ALT multiple times.

Unfortunately I have no idea why yours wouldn't be working correctly.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I also have a Civ P-51 in which the autopilot works perfectly. My airplane even has a RXP GTN 650, and the autopilot in my P-51 even works with that. I recommend that you hang in. Keep working with Nick. You'll get it working. Confidence is high.

Seeya
ATB

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Nick and Rob, please focus during ur flight ailerons weird positioning when changing modes.
I think it is related to bad weather, when plane moves all around, ailerons working up and down, and then suddenly those are frozen by setting autopilot to HDG mode. ( HDG mode freeze ailerons, NAV NORM not )
I think it is like that, but that is only my theory.

Have no idea why my autopilot works differently to urs Rob ? ? :?

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Artur wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 01:18 Have no idea why my autopilot works differently to urs Rob ? ? :?
I do...it's because something is broken in yours :wink:
I've never looked at what the ailerons are doing during A/P mode changes, but I'd suggest in your case that you get the A/P thing sorted first and hope that the aileron thing is resolved at the same time.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

the only thing i can do is reinstall, even i have mixed feelings that it will help...
In order to reinstall P51, which file(s) should i backup to keep my flying hours ?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Artur,

I don't recommend reinstalling at this point, but there are a couple of other things you could try.

Firstly, make sure your default P3Dv4 scenario is loading one of the stock aircraft included with the sim and not a complex add-on. Ideally try reverting P3Dv4 back to its stock settings by deleting the Prepar3D.cfg.

I also recommend you try disabling FSUIPC when troubleshooting.

If you do reinstall, the log.dat files in "Documents\A2A\FSX\P51civ" which record the hours on the aircraft won't be removed.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Nick,

I have default plane set for P3D start up.
I have deleted FSUIPC, any other steps i can make ?

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

No more support ?

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”