Mustang Hydraulic System

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Mustang Hydraulic System

Post by MkIV Hvd »

This is a really picky issue, but I've seen that being picky is what sets A2A apart from other developers, so here's the thing... :wink:

The vast majority of the time, I have to top up the hydraulic fluid in the hangar before flight along with the oil and coolant, but I very rarely have to repair a hydraulic leak. I completely understand the oil and coolant, but having been a tech sales guy in the fluid power industry for the last 25 years, I know that hydraulic systems are tight and do not ever need to be topped up unless there is a significant leak somewhere. A hydraulic system is not one that you just top up and continue to use on a routine basis, as the other thing I know about hydraulic systems is that a leak can only get worse...usually instantly and catastrophically at the exact wrong moment. With that in mind in a real world scenario, the first time that I noticed the hydraulic fluid was low, I'd be disassembling the airplane if I had to, to find and repair the leak.

Just a thought with "As real as possible!" in mind... :D

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Mustang Hydraulic System

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 10:36 This is a really picky issue, but I've seen that being picky is what sets A2A apart from other developers, so here's the thing... :wink:

The vast majority of the time, I have to top up the hydraulic fluid in the hangar before flight along with the oil and coolant, but I very rarely have to repair a hydraulic leak. I completely understand the oil and coolant, but having been a tech sales guy in the fluid power industry for the last 25 years, I know that hydraulic systems are tight and do not ever need to be topped up unless there is a significant leak somewhere. A hydraulic system is not one that you just top up and continue to use on a routine basis, as the other thing I know about hydraulic systems is that a leak can only get worse...usually instantly and catastrophically at the exact wrong moment. With that in mind in a real world scenario, the first time that I noticed the hydraulic fluid was low, I'd be disassembling the airplane if I had to, to find and repair the leak.

Just a thought with "As real as possible!" in mind... :D

Cheers,
Rob
Generally speaking the 51 didn't leak hydraulic fluid much unless there was a problem. Something that DID cause hydraulic leaks was not lowering the flaps and pulling the fairing door release handle out during shutdown. This of course left pressure in the system and when parked on a hot ramp this combination could easily (and almost always did) cause leaks at the coupling joints along the hydraulic lines.
Mustang operators who were guilty of doing this were potentially faced with a rather large bill to replace hoses. The main company that supplied hydraulic hose replacement for the Mustang was Aeroquip Hoses.
Dudley Henriques

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 11:33 Generally speaking the 51 didn't leak hydraulic fluid much unless there was a problem. Something that DID cause hydraulic leaks was not lowering the flaps and pulling the fairing door release handle out during shutdown. This of course left pressure in the system and when parked on a hot ramp this combination could easily (and almost always did) cause leaks at the coupling joints along the hydraulic lines.
Mustang operators who were guilty of doing this were potentially faced with a rather large bill to replace hoses. The main company that supplied hydraulic hose replacement for the Mustang was Aeroquip Hoses.
Dudley Henriques
Yep, that makes perfect sense...no leaks without an issue of some type.
I'll bet Aeroquip was fine with the hose sales but I'll also bet that they never got the sale twice for that reason from the same owner/operator :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 11:47
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 11:33 Generally speaking the 51 didn't leak hydraulic fluid much unless there was a problem. Something that DID cause hydraulic leaks was not lowering the flaps and pulling the fairing door release handle out during shutdown. This of course left pressure in the system and when parked on a hot ramp this combination could easily (and almost always did) cause leaks at the coupling joints along the hydraulic lines.
Dudley Henriques
Yep, that makes perfect sense...no leaks without an issue of some type.
I'll bet Aeroquip was fine with the hose sales but I'll also bet that they never got the sale twice for that reason from the same owner/operator :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
That's a good bet. In the time I was active in the Mustang community I knew only one operator who had this issue. The cost was no problem for him but the razzing he got from us was worth the price of admission. LOL
DH

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 12:05 That's a good bet. In the time I was active in the Mustang community I knew only one operator who had this issue. The cost was no problem for him but the razzing he got from us was worth the price of admission. LOL
DH
I can well imagine...pilots can be a cruel group that way... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob Wilkinson

P40 Master
Airman

Post by P40 Master »

The hydraulic handle can catch you out if you dont use the checklist or fly the P51 often. its part of my warm up scan.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”