P-51 turning on TOGA power.

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Demondefiant
Airman Basic

P-51 turning on TOGA power.

Post by Demondefiant »

Anytime during takeoff even whilst slowly raising the power as the manual suggests. the "Stang' " will pull hard to the left. I've tried putting full rudder trim to the left instead of the 6 degrees, even with full right differential breaks it proceeds to turn in circles on anything above half power.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: P-51 turning on TOGA power.

Post by DHenriques_ »

Demondefiant wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 18:15 Anytime during takeoff even whilst slowly raising the power as the manual suggests. the "Stang' " will pull hard to the left. I've tried putting full rudder trim to the left instead of the 6 degrees, even with full right differential breaks it proceeds to turn in circles on anything above half power.
Try 6 degrees RIGHT rudder trim.

Dudley Henriques

Demondefiant
Airman Basic

Post by Demondefiant »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 18:43
Demondefiant wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 18:15 Anytime during takeoff even whilst slowly raising the power as the manual suggests. the "Stang' " will pull hard to the left. I've tried putting full rudder trim to the left instead of the 6 degrees, even with full right differential breaks it proceeds to turn in circles on anything above half power.

Dudley Henriques
That's what I did at first, but it still kept doing it.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Demondefiant wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 19:09
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 18:43

Dudley Henriques
That's what I did at first, but it still kept doing it.
The correct rudder trim setting for a P51 takeoff is 6 deg RIGHT. Be aware that this trim setting will NOT prevent a left swing if power and your primary controls are not carefully used.
If you research our forum threads I know I have posted a complete tutorial someplace on this exact subject.
Dudley Henriques

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Dudley's takeoff tutorial is here: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=31684.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

When I first bought the Mustang, every takeoff was a freak show and I was completely scared of it for the first 50 hours or so. I too was following the advice to advance the throttle slowly and it turned out I was being too slow...I was intimidated by the rising crescendo of sound as I approached an actual takeoff power setting.

With the power the Mustang has to turn the sizeable prop, it will still accelerate quite quickly at partial throttle and if there is not enough airflow over the rudder it will absolutely be impossible to control the left turning tendency. Try moving the throttle forward at a quicker pace and see what happens. Ultimately though, there is no magic solution and there is no way to tame her without a considerable amount of practice :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 17:41 When I first bought the Mustang, every takeoff was a freak show and I was completely scared of it for the first 50 hours or so. I too was following the advice to advance the throttle slowly and it turned out I was being too slow...I was intimidated by the rising crescendo of sound as I approached an actual takeoff power setting.

With the power the Mustang has to turn the sizeable prop, it will still accelerate quite quickly at partial throttle and if there is not enough airflow over the rudder it will absolutely be impossible to control the left turning tendency. Try moving the throttle forward at a quicker pace and see what happens. Ultimately though, there is no magic solution and there is no way to tame her without a considerable amount of practice :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Perhaps it might help if I explained the power advance in a Mustang in a bit more detail.
By "slowly" it shouldn't be implied that the power is necessarily "ratcheted" up in apply and hesitate increments.
The proper method is to bring the power up slowly and continuously to around 30 inches then release the brakes. (Doing this insures enough airflow on the rudder to give initial control as the brakes are released.
THEN...............as the airplane gains momentum............bring the power up slowly but CONTINUOUSLY to take off power. Of course while you are doing this you have to apply the proper control inputs to insure any crosswind and torque correction with aileron.
Takeoff in a Mustang is never the same due to wind. Each one is just a little bit different, but the application of power is pretty well done the same way each time.
Hope this helps a bit more.
Dudley Henriques

Demondefiant
Airman Basic

Post by Demondefiant »

Update:

Still kept having the issues, I verified file integrity twice on :SE and turns out I was missing 512 unvalidated files, on top of that I updated all of my Accusim products. Glad to say the Mustang now flies like the dream it once was!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Glad to hear you are back up and running with the update and verify fix from Steam. The tutorial posted above is always worth a look anyway, its saved by bacon a few times :lol:

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”