What type system do you use.

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

What type system do you use.

Post by trucker17 »

Ok.....Most never say what type os system they are useing or which version.....
Maybe everyone could list the brand and version of editing software they use.....Photoshop, Gimp, etc.....
Could be a big help in choosing the right one to use....

phillik747
Senior Airman

Re: What type system do you use.

Post by phillik747 »

Any system that runs FSX well is going to do what you need for repainting. Over 4GB of ram, good video card, etc....

I have an older system:
intel 2 duo 1.86 overclocked to 3.0
4 GB ram
Nvidia 8800 GT (old i know)

I use photoshop cs4 with the Nvidia addon.

(I'd upgrade my computer but all my money is going to an aircraft I'm building) :wink:
ASEL, AMEL, Commercial, Instrument.
Former Naval Aviator.

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 & as pre my sig
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I am now working on a old laptop, but still an Intel T7500 duo 2.2, 4Mb cache and a Geforce 8600m GT with 512 Mb and Windows Vista.
Painting is done with Photoshop CS3 and dxtbmp. It is having difficulties with the P-51 paintkit though, opening and saving is measured in cups of coffee at the moment...
However, I am setting a new computer, it;s just the holidays that are keeping me away from that now...
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

Been using Paint Shop Pro 7 for a long time now and no plans to change. It will do everything the big boy does and it is much easier to get the hang of. Also DXTBmp is a must. Thats it, those two work for me and I paint for developers so it has to be right.

As far as hardware, you need a good computer with tons of memory (memory comes in handy when you have 20 or so 2048 textures opened at a time plus FSX). A 64 bit system with win 7 helps as well. A nice mid line video card with lots of memory is fine and I prefer Nvidia for color. Use the best and largest monitor you can buy because this is your canvas and you need a good one. I use a color calibrated 70" Sharp and can see every flaw to help make a perfect job (lol, haven't done a perfect paint yet but still have a blast doing them).

The mouse is likely the most important part of your tool box. Shop long and hard for this item and find one that fits your hand because you will spend hours and hours with it. I have done this so long that I have wrist problems and after 8 or 12 hours of work I have to rest them a day. I do wrist exercises every hour or so and that helps greatly. To minimize future wrist problems try using your other hand. I learned to use both and change hands when one gets tired.

I use a white plastic small cutting board from Walmart for a mouse pad, it is very slick and the white helps with laser tracking. The mice I use are all types and brands and really have not found the perfect mouse as yet. I have large hands and most mice are too small. I have three at the moment and keep changing them as I work.

Almost forgot the second most important item, your chair. I use a nice comfy leather club chair and fall asleep regularly.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Photoshop CS3 and the Nvidia plugin for me.

I have to disagree with warbirds too, Paintshop cannot do everything PS can do and certainly once you get to more complicated imagery paintshop will struggle. Its easy and quickly to get 250+ layers on a from scratch WIP which I think paintshop would struggle with. I also believe that using the industry standard is better overall for how it works for the majority + tends to be much easyier to youtube photoshop tutorials for all manner of things because of how many use the program.

However having said all the above it should be noted that its in the context of me, (I've used Photoshop since school-college-university and in my job). Paintshop is 110% ok and great for use for repaints in FSX, it is as warbirds said pretty much a simplified photoshop version, simple to use and you can still produce some great stuff proved from wairbirds own repaints and cockpit work that can be seen in these very forums.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

Yes Lewis Photo Shop is industry standard but the average hobby painting is better off with a simpler, cheaper and more user friendly program. Photo Shop was originally, and still is, a software developed for photographers and the work flow is geared to that end but Paint Shop Pro was developed for painters first. The later versions of PSP are for photo guys and not as good as the early versions and I recommend PSP 7 as the one to get.

I do work for many developers and have never had any problems with textures or layers or final outcome using PSP7 and I have even been asked to work for A2A so I am sure PSP 7 is good enough for virtual work of any kind. Most developers change all textures to DXT 5 for final release and that takes away any finite textures and subtle shadowing we have done so they all look a bit crappy up close and personal in the end. I do have one developer, GAS, that will release my completed work in 32 bit and it really shows in the final product with crisp textures and perfect decal and lettering.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

I've used GIMP as my repainting program of choice since starting to work in FS2004. It's free and can open and work with both PSP and PS file formats. It is limited some when you get really advanced, but for entry level and intermediate work, it's more than sufficient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Fabo
Airman First Class

Post by Fabo »

You could also try gimpshop if you wish to try painting and are thinking of getting photoshop later. I have also had some basic success with Paint.NET, but this was trivial work. I use the Photoshop CS3 which I got a student license for, and can not be more satisfied.

As for computer, most has been told, big RAM (those 4096*4096 kits get huge. And some planes are even bigger (PMDG NGX is something like 13000*4096 before slicing). Other than that, anything mid-line will do. If you can run FSX, you can definitely paint. And get a good monitor. This is what I feel most bummed about here, but it makes no sense for me to buy a better one at this time when I dont know where I will be in two months.

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

I am using Photoshop CS5 which I bought the last year. I must say that it is very awesome software. In the pack you get both 32 and 64 bits version. I installed the second one which is able to get use of my 8gigs of RAM. The program also utilises the power of the GPU. The PS CS 7 from 2002 which I was using before saved my master x4096 texture in few minutes and sometimes was crashing. With the new one, the file saves in 5 secs and opens in 10. The difference is incredible...

CookerCook
Senior Airman

Post by CookerCook »

Use Photoshop, then I convert the Paintkit first into a DDS by saving it as DDS, then using the DDS to repaint the planes.
“You Drive a Mustang?”
“No, I fly one.”

new reply

Return to “Repainters”