My repainting tutorial is up and running.

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

My repainting tutorial is up and running.

Post by mountainhighair »

Hello everyone, I finally found the time to update my website with my repainting tutorial (repainting 101). Find it through my avatar link below, or directly here: http://simulatedcreations.com/simulated ... nt101.html

I sure hope it helps the community. Contact me here or direct email, please, with ideas and suggestions.

Jonno

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Re: My repainting tutorial is up and running.

Post by TBryson2 »

Nice site, and I’m till reading through it, but have a suggestion or two. I also have done several aircraft repaints and a lot of texturing steam engines for Trainz RR simulator, so I too have experience, but it’s been several years.

I am viewing the site with an iPad. Not sure how it looks on a PC.

The “notes” are a nice touch, but I cannot shrink them back down and have to refresh the page. Same with the images.

The page itself takes up the left 1/2 of the screen. The right 1/2 is blank. I have to enlarge the page so it fills the screen. Otherwise I cannot read it.

I totally agree with your opinion on doing it your own way. I was texturing a steam locomotive from the early 1800’s. It’s boiler (so “they” say) was Russian Iron, which some out there decided is a baby blue or pastel blue. I disagreed and even though some vendors will sell you a replica of this engine in baby blue (which I think looks ludicrous) I made mine more of a “blue” like a rifle barrel. Looks a lot more realistic. And upon further research, seems nobody really knows exactly what Russian Iron looked like 100 years ago and can’t agree on it. No paintings or color photographs.

Also the link to your historically inaccurate aircraft is broken. 😕

As far as using decal sheets, you are correct IF the decal sheet came from an unreliable source! There are several very dedicated decal manufacturers that get the job done right. Typically the decals in the kits are junk, but if you buy decals from reliable sources, they contain a wealth of information and are correct. I’ve used them by scanning them in and incorporating them into my textures. It’s sometimes the only way to get the detail you need. Imagine attempting to draw nose art by hand!

Thats enough for now. You’ve given me a reason to get started texturing again. 😉

Thank you!

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Post by mountainhighair »

TB2, thank you for your input! That's exactly the feedback I like. I should get it set up properly for smart phones and iPads. I'm one of those rare people who don't have a smart phone. I am an amateur HTML writer - (just good enough to be dangerous), so your input is very helpful.

You said, "You’ve given me a reason to get started texturing again". That is truly a wonderful thing to read.
Thank you

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

You give up on this?

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

new reply

Return to “Repainters”