Painted originally in Photoshop for FSX now using Gimp to convert for P3d v4

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
john.downen.1
Airman

Painted originally in Photoshop for FSX now using Gimp to convert for P3d v4

Post by john.downen.1 »

Hello all

I have a paint for my C182 that I made in Photoshop and used in FSX. I now have P3d v4 and I want to use this paint but I do not have Photoshop right now so I am trying to use Gimp to convert it to .dds but I can't find the right settings to make it show up in P3d correctly. In Photoshop I used 888 8 with no mips flipped but with Gimp I don't have that option. How do I convert this .png to the proper .dds so it renders correctly?

Any help you guys can give would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance

John.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Painted originally in Photoshop for FSX now using Gimp to convert for P3d v4

Post by bladerunner900 »

Textures made for FSX usually work in P3D v4 straight away. They don't usually need re-saving. Having said that, you've probably altered or, improved the texture somehow and would like to incorporate that into P3D.

My experience with Gimp is extremely limited, but from my experiments and, depending on how you made the .PNG file, it may not be possible to include an Alpha channel. You may have to start again. I say this because I first had to include "Save color values from transparent pixels" while Exporting to .PNG from Gimp. Using that .PNG file, a .DDS was then successfully exported uncompressed, with default settings in the export dialogue.

Anyway, this is what I have found in my short voyage of discovery with Gimp and its handling of file types. What you need is for one of our Gimp experts to chime in with some advice.

So come on guys. Help a fellow painter out some.

Steve.

john.downen.1
Airman

Re: Painted originally in Photoshop for FSX now using Gimp to convert for P3d v4

Post by john.downen.1 »

Hey Steve, thank you for the response, I finally gave up on Gimp and paid for Photoshop for a month, but I am still having trouble getting the panel and pilot to render correctly. I am using 8888 flipped, no mips with and without the alpha folder selected. Any other advice you could give is greatly appreciated...

John

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Ah. A technical issue. Perhaps you should ask that in the 182 Tech Support section.
viewforum.php?f=121

My first thought would be, your not trying to install your FSX version into P3D are you, because that's not going to work. You need the P3D v4 specific model.

Second thought would be, make sure you have a texture.cfg file in the folder of your custom paint.

After that my next thought would be to get on over to the Tech section and ask for help. Technical problems can be wide and varied. You may need help from one of the A2A techies. (you know who you are guys)

Best of luck. :wink:

john.downen.1
Airman

Post by john.downen.1 »

Thank you Bladerunner!!! I think you hit it I don’t think there is a .cfg file in the folder... I hope that is the case and I never noticed it till you said something...

Thank you so much for the reply...

John

john.downen.1
Airman

Post by john.downen.1 »

Hey Bladerunner, it was the .cfg file it had one in it but it didn’t have all the lines in it that it needed... I am a happy camper, I spent a lot of time painting that so thank you again for your much needed help.

John

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Glad I could help. :)

jim007
Airman Basic

Post by jim007 »

Hi
For information, it is possible to work with the alpha channel and exports planes in dds for P3D v4 with Gimp last edition (wich is still free)
(you could see some repaints done with Gimp recently on avsim.com - look for "A2a Jean Marc repaints" and you could see the files and result PS : starting to do some for msfs020 ... and waiting A2A planes for it)
Jean Marc

new reply

Return to “Repainters”