Ethical Question

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
JeffKTPF
Airman

Ethical Question

Post by JeffKTPF »

This may be a dumb question, but I was wondering what the consensus was on using someone else's texture as an underlay to trace over (much as you would with a photo)?

The reason I'm asking is that there are several skins for the WBS Mustang that I wanted to do for the A2A Mustang (specifically "Betty Lee III," "Sweet & Lovely" and "Lil' Bunyep"), but as these paint schemes only existed during WWII, reference photos/material are hard to come by.

In contrast, "Sizzlin' Liz" and "Vergeltungwaffe" (both of which I recently uploaded) are Mustangs that are currently flying ("Sizzlin' Liz") or were flying up until recently ("Vergeltungswaffe," now "Little Witch"), and as such, have an abundance of good color photos that I relied on for reference (including using as underlays in CAD to trace my linework over).

So back to my original question, if I were to use someone else's texture as an underlay to trace my linework over (but NOT copy/paste any part of their texture into mine), would that be considered acceptable?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'd rather ask permission first than forgiveness later....

Thanks,

Jeff

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Re: Ethical Question

Post by mgr »

Hi Jeff,

The best thing is just ask the original designer if possible. They usually say yes.

Cheers,

Marcel

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

You can also ask for a little reference help, they might be able to let you know a website link or some hidden little gem they used to get the details as best they can.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I would have absolutely no proble,s with that, go for it!

Jankees
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

With a few exceptions all my work is up for grabs. Do as you like with them is my feeling. If any of it helps you in any way, so much the better. Those 'few exceptions' I mentioned are entirely under the control of whomever I supplied them to.

Steve.

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

For your own use, I (personally) don’t see a problem.

For sharing or selling, get permission & / or do your own research.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

JeffKTPF
Airman

Post by JeffKTPF »

Thanks everyone for your feedback...

I think I'll reach out to the author and ask him if he minds my using his texture as a primary reference for my skin. Even though on one hand, it technically it doesn't seem any different than tracing over photo(s), on the other hand, it does feels different on a gut level (at least to me), and I do want to respect his work.

Plus it'd give me a chance to ask him what he used for reference material (as all I was able to find, besides his texture, was artwork for Aero Master decals, some B&W photos of "Betty Lee II," a distant WWII color photo of the plane that didn't offer much useful information).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jeff

montytheangry
Airman Basic

Post by montytheangry »

I have a file of an Ercoupe from Classic Wings, which I now understand is defunct. The entire file is complete and accurate. I am not a computer genius, I am a simple, real world pilot with a pain-in-the-butt simulator! I learned to fly in an Ercoupe while stationed at Ft. Wainwright Alaska and ended up flying everywhere I could up there. The file I have worked fine in Prepar3dv3 but now causes my Prepar3dv4.5 to crash. Is there anyone out there who can help me with re-configuring the file to work with Prepar3dv4.5? I can tell you the flight characteristics are accurate so I think it is just a config. issue. I would own an Ercoupe now if it weren't for the fact that I am a disabled Veteran living on a fixed income. Is there anyone that can help?

It would be very cool to see a company like A2A to take this file and do their magic to it.

Tony

new reply

Return to “Repainters”