*** BRAKES ANTI SKID ON OFF ***

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

*** BRAKES ANTI SKID ON OFF ***

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

Thought I would post this up since I've been hearing a lot of people trying to figure out how to solve the issue of the wheels locking up when you apply your brakes.

This is really a simple solution and has been sitting right under our noses! I just found this yesterday and had no idea this was in here because I've always heard people talking about writing some kind of code to fix the brakes locking up or looking for something to download that might fix it... well it was right in front of us the whole time and has been in FSX since day one when FSX first came out.

I'm sure some have seen this but I bet most have simply over looked it as I have since we usually takes *Brakes* for granted and just assign a trigger for the main brakes so I'm willing to bet that most of you out there had no idea about this.

-----------------------------------

Here it is!

If you go to your control settings simply apply a trigger or key stroke to the *Brakes Anti Skid On Off* as I have in the screenshot above.

It simply keeps the wheels from locking up after you apply the brakes, BUT you have to initiate it during your flight or taxi.
In my configuration in the screen above, this allows me to have the wheels either locked or unlocked while braking with the push of the button or keystroke. Just make sure the slider on the right is NOT in repeat mode. You want it to work like an ON/OFF switch.

I don't know why FSX made it work this way but I assume it has something to do so that if your on a slope or something then locking the brakes will keep you from sliding?? I don't know but it does free up the wheels from locking during your taxi and landing when brakes are applied once you hit your assigned button or keystroke.

Also it does not effect the actual braking efficiency at all. Your break pressures are configured by adjusting your [BRAKES] Toe_Brakes, Parking_Brake and so on in the config file. No matter how much pressure you have assigned to your brakes if you assign the Brakes anti-Skid and have that working then the wheels will still roll no matter how much pressure is applied OR you can hit the button or keystroke to lock your brakes.

Now videos will look a lot better with rolling wheels while braking :)

Cheers!
~A~
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: *** BRAKES ANTI SKID ON OFF ***

Post by cflord »

Thanks for posting this information. I'll have to look into this feature.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :)

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

Awesome! just make sure that you make a mental note if they are unlocked or locked cause there's no indication of it anywhere until you actually apply the brakes... which then if they are locked and your shooting a video well that will just kind of spoil that part of the video.

~A~
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

Maybe we need to come up with a light for the dash indicating if its on or off....?

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

So will brakes still work with it on?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Great find.
Tested this with the JF Electra. Noses over easily with hard braking.
Does not eliminate the nose over, but reduces the tendency quite a bit.
The brakes still stop fine.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Very good. It always annoyed me a little the the wheels will lock if your on the brakes. This will be the end of it.

Thanks for sharing the information!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Does FSX actually simulate brakes locking up? I've always been able to just stomp on the brakes, even in the wet.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Same here - never seen wheels lock, even winter/rain conditions...

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Well you don't really feel the wheels lock. You can just see it from the outside views. That's what 8055 was refering to. Kinda ruins the videos.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for this Alan. I read your post a few days ago when I was away with work with no opportunity to test it out. However, it works really well at eliminating an annoying visual glitch in FSX. As you say, it's not a new fix and has been under our noses for a while now but I'd missed it too. :)

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. For any FSUIPC users, I realised it's quite simple to just assign the same joystick button that I use for my brakes so that it sets the anti-skid function to 'on'. (By setting the offset byte for the anti-skid function, x0BFD, to 1.)
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”