Finished Repaints

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Finished Repaints

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Ron Attwood wrote:
Oo lovely. I've been patronised. Cheeky young pup!

EDIT: After posting this I got up and went to the kitchen. Buggered if I could remember why! :?

EDIT 2: It was a beer. :roll:
Haha :lol: :lol:
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Adam_NZ wrote:
Ron Attwood wrote:EDIT: After posting this I got up and went to the kitchen. Buggered if I could remember why! :?
I'm sorry to say I have that T-shirt :(

Just a "quickie" (as it were) ... does one of your tailfin markings need to be reversed? Red first for RAF, blue for FR (not sure which the RCAF plump for - or do they hedge their bets? LOL).

Fantastic looking paint!!

Adam.
Thanks Adam. I'll check the tail. I always thought it was red-white and blue from the left.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Ron Attwood wrote:Thanks Adam. I'll check the tail. I always thought it was red-white and blue from the left.
I've edited my opening post to include a RL starboard view.

Don't you love it when you're right? :D Lewis, can we get a 'smug git' emoticon?

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Very interesting, Ron! You (meaning me) learn something new every day!

It appears that the RCAF don't follow the RAF in this respect:

"with the red stripe nearest the leading edge"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air ... #Fin_flash

Your paint (as is the aircraft in RL) appears 100% correct!!! :oops:

I tend to pick up on details like this (when in repainter mode) as people often get the orientation of the Kiwi (in the roundels) wrong. Same for the RAAF 'roo, I think. Looks like the RNZAF also followed the RAF convention. My theory for the RCAF is that one side is British, the other French!

Having said all this, there've been cases of restored aircraft in RL having been incorrectly marked!

Adam.
--
Image--Image

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Adam_NZ wrote:
Having said all this, there've been cases of restored aircraft in RL having been incorrectly marked!

Adam.
You are completely correct. Midnight Rendezvous is a glaring example. After some Googling I discovered that it is red-white-blue on the starboard side and blue-white-red on the port side. Something I didn't know.

Trust the Americans to get it the wrong way round! :D

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

Ron Attwood wrote:
Adam_NZ wrote: Trust the Americans to get it the wrong way round! :D
That's funny!!! (smile) It's kind of like the US Flag on aircraft. You can't believe how many times I've seen it improperly flown on aircraft......every now and again at airports on actual aircraft.

I did a repaint one time on an aircraft and received a number of e-mail's telling me I must have screwed up as the U.S. flag was backwards. One gent wouldn't let it be until I finally posted the portion of the flag reg manual showing I was correct.

Or.........even the British Union Jack I've seen flown incorrectly.....more than once I've seen it placed upside down. (smile)

A good friend of mine told me the story of being stationed in Texas and at morning colors running the Texas Flag upside down. (smile)

Many years ago (around 1975 I think....) I was witness to 3 MP's (Military Police) running the U.S. Flag upside down at Morning Colors at MCAS(H) Tustin.

I heard a rumor later all three lost a stripe over that.....however, I seriously doubt it...... But as soon as the Anthem Finished the Station SgtMajor had a few choice words for those folks. (smile)

Cheers!!
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

With finflashes it should always be red towards the front of the fin on either side for RAF and Commonwealth airframes. For French types its the reverse.

And yes I knew of an Auster 5 that had the same problem as per the Racer. Owner wasn't too pleased when I pointed it out! ;)

Martin

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

To add , it not just different countries going this way or that ... imagine your own countries air force ... the historical flight section of all things :roll: , these guy's really got lazy and plopped the wrong fonts on the side of the Harvard NZ1015 .. really sticks out like dogs balls ! least I can say Tom has nailed ole No.76 tho we never had the spinner nor the football on the back :wink:

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I did a paint of a Swiss Lancair Legacy and the owner had put the Stars and stripes on the tail fin. Trouble was, that he put them on with the stars field on the left on both sides. I duly recreated that. Who got taken to task for getting it wrong? :D

hermannk1
Airman

Post by hermannk1 »

Ron Attwood wrote:I did a paint of a Swiss Lancair Legacy and the owner had put the Stars and stripes on the tail fin. Trouble was, that he put them on with the stars field on the left on both sides. I duly recreated that. Who got taken to task for getting it wrong? :D
Agree. It's got be correct to be authentic. Seen the SAAF Springbok "jumping" the wrong way, both on the fuselage and the wing in quite a few repaints on different aircraft. :)

zsoltfireman
Airman First Class

Post by zsoltfireman »

Soon!

t6dpilot
Airman Basic

Post by t6dpilot »

Thought I would register here and make a couple of comments since I stumbled on your forum. I am the former owner of my beloved SAAF 7515 T6 (N515SA). Five one five South African is the N-number I chose when importing it into the states. Very cool that one of you guys found my old scheme of 7515 before it got turned into Iowa ANG yellow. I am extremely partial to the SAAF scheme and wish it was still painted like that. I purchased it from the SAAF in the late 90's and flew it for many years in the faded Day Glo. Should have left it that way, but decided to strip it and repaint red. Dumb. I never got the rear fuselage completed before I sold it and that it why the tail looks incomplete. You must have seen the later photos. If you want it to look complete, bring the red paint forward to just behind the Castle of Good Hope insignia. And if you really want it correct, turn it into Day Glo orange - that is the way it should be and looks great! If you really want it to look bad a$$, then fade the Day Glo from a very pale yellow/white on top where the sun hit, to brighter orange underneath in the areas that were protected from the sun.

Planes all look good guys. It is fun to scroll through and see them all. The SAAF had just a few that were painted in camo for fighting against the insurgents in Rhodesia. 7515 was one of them, but it wasn't pretty. It was done with spray cans. I love camo T6's so hope someone here tries that on. My father owned the ex-Spanish T6 Casa 6 421-59. That is a great scheme too.

zsoltfireman
Airman First Class

Post by zsoltfireman »

Harvard IIA, 62 Air School, South Africa, 1945

Download here: https://mega.nz/#!uFByHTqZ!k4CSiU0FtPx_ ... 70sEjTwHE8

Zsolt

degeus
Airman First Class

Post by degeus »

Zolt,
Besides your magnificent repaint: Which airfield are you using? I would like to have it too as a nice WW2-airfield.Where can I download it?
reg.,
Piet
Piet de Geus
Netherlands

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”