My ailerons just jammed during a test flight...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Scott - A2A
A2A General

My ailerons just jammed during a test flight...

Post by Scott - A2A »

So here I am doing some development on the Bonanza, specifically adding the stall warning horn sound, and suddenly the plane starts banking right. I paused the sim thinking I just mucked something up in the code, but then realized that maybe this is an Accu-Sim failure. So I un-paused it after being almost 60 deg banked, full left rudder, stick back, watching airspeed got it level then took this screenshot. You can see the aileron is jammed slight right aileron up, which means I need a lot of left rudder to compensate.

I'm now going to try and deal with this situation and live to tell about it. Will post the results shortly.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Re: OMG my ailerons just jammed...

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

well at least we know accusim works :D
AKA "Memey"

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Re: OMG my ailerons just jammed...

Post by Medtner »

Great stuff! Hope you can nurse it back to an airport.

A silly, but not so silly apropos to the pause button.
Reaching for it is convenient in the sim, but I've made a point of never using it. I have my "cockpit" sterile when flying, so that any distractions are only minor and can be dealt with as if I were in the cockpit. This is all good when being an Accusim-user, but I am worrying that you as a developer might learn to interpret a real emergency as an Accusim failure. Imagine flying in your own Comanche, getting a failure, and then reaching for the pause-button that isn't there... :-P

(or - do you have a pause-button in real life?)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: My ailerons just jammed during a test flight...

Post by Scott - A2A »

I'm alive to tell about it :)

Here's a history of the flight back and my thinking during the emergency landing.

The nose is bobbing all over the place, and all I can think of it's situations like this where you can see a high performance airplane with a v-tail can be a handful and much more dangerous to deal with than a slower, more simple airplane. Only experienced pilots should operate a v-tail Bonanza.
Fortunately there is an airport straight ahead, but I have plenty of gas and am not going to rush anything. I'm going to first just get used to flying this airplane a bit with no aileron as I keep using the aileron instinctively. I need to get rid of this reaction before landing.

Here is the airport over my left shoulder. I'm going to stretch it out and to the right for a nice slow and easy left turn back in (don't want any steep right turns because I may not recover):

Feeling pretty good at this point. Still having a heck of a time keeping the nose straight and my left foot is cramping:

Started skating to the left, but still stable. I just want to get down on the ground safely:

Ended up landing very hard on the grass, then bounced onto the taxiway. Ouch, my back hurts from that one:

Maintenance hangar after the landing. You can see the new avionics section too:

This experience felt like a real emergency, you have to love flight simulation for the power it brings into our homes.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant

Post by rosariomanzo »

Glad you did it, Scott!

What is the clock on the aircraft windscreen in the Hangar panel?
Ros

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

rosariomanzo wrote:What is the clock on the aircraft windscreen in the Hangar panel?
That is what you click on to see the Instrument Panel state, where you can fix / replace gauges.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant

Post by rosariomanzo »

Scott - A2A wrote: That is what you click on to see the Instrument Panel state, where you can fix / replace gauges.
Thanks!

Inviato dal mio SM-A320FL utilizzando Tapatalk
Ros

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Love the reproof: "Make sure you have time to preflight the plane..." :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Great write up! Keep them coming. I like this casual sneak peak at the Bonanza. It has such a gorgeous panel. The Cherokee and the Bonanza are true living rooms, it seems. :)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Medtner wrote:Great write up! Keep them coming. I like this casual sneak peak at the Bonanza. It has such a gorgeous panel. The Cherokee and the Bonanza are true living rooms, it seems. :)
True. We had a dozen planes on our line leased back for Charter if we needed them, a 400 Comanche, a 337 Cessna and a Bo among them. Our Bo had a single swing over yoke. The cockpit was almost art deco, curtains and all. The switches were all rockers and the instruments were all post lighted. Loved flying that beast. The only problem was that dutch roll that was always present for the back seat pax. We kept sick sacks handy and well hidden. Rule 101 for the Bonanza was that once a pax spotted a sick sack, 10 seconds later they needed it. LOL
DH

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

You should have just closed the window curtain and everything would have been okay.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

n421nj wrote:You should have just closed the window curtain and everything would have been okay.
Trust me...doesn't work. That DR in the V tail is a back seat vomit trigger. Once it begins to take effect there's no stopping it. :-))))))
But I'll say this as well. A GOOD pilot used to flying the V Tail can compensate by judicious tickling of the pedals. Doing this however takes some degree of talent as a splt second ahead or behind the DR and you can easily make it worse.
After flying the V Tail for a while I actually got fairly good at canceling out the DR. Doing it became second nature; almost a conditioned reflex action.
DH

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Scott: nice write up! Looking forward to flying the V-Bonanza.

Seeya
ATB

maubrenta
Senior Airman

Post by maubrenta »

Nice! Can't wait!

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

Scott - A2A wrote: This experience felt like a real emergency, you have to love flight simulation for the power it brings into our homes.

Scott
Nice pics and info! Have you ever tried flying on pilot edge? I just flew the F1 kingair tonite and experienced an engine failure (not sure what happened). It's really interesting in the sim but when you're actually speaking to air traffic it's even more realistic!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”