For those experiencing blurry textures

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

For those experiencing blurry textures

Post by Nick - A2A »

Dear All,

Update: free non-mipmapped textures packs are now available in the A2A Store.

Since the Bonanza's release, some customers have commented that the panel displays look "blurry". Hopefully the advice below should help you get the best visual results possible in Prepr3D v4 and Flight Simulator X.

The Bonanza features high-resolution (4096 x 4096 pixels) texture sheets for the virtual cockpit and external texturing. However, with such high-resolution textures, many users complain of "shimmering" of virtual cockpit textures. Whilst this shimmering can be reduced using supersampling anti-aliasing modes, such techniques can be very costly in terms of FPS.

To address this issue, the textures sheets in the Bonanza virtual cockpit use "mipmaps" (progressively lower resolution renditions of the texture). These should enable crisp and sharp graphics at close range, and virtually eliminate shimmering at longer range. However, some changes may be necessary to sim settings for the best effect.

Prepar3D v4

Prepar3D v4 at its default setting uses a rather modest (for modern hardware) "texture resolution" of 1024 x 1024 pixels. Please change this setting to "ultra - 4096x4096" as shown below.

If you have the "FXAA" option set to "on" you could also try setting it to "off", as Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing also tends to produce rather blurred cockpit textures.

Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition

By default FSX-SE actually uses higher-resolution global textures than Preapr3D v4. To enable crisp cockpit graphics, simply ensure that the "global texture resolution" slider is set in its default position at far right.

Flight Simulator X - DVD Version

The boxed edition of FSX is around ten years and by default, its UI only supports a maximum texture resolution of 1024 x 1024 pixels. However, you can increase this setting to 4096 x 4096 by opening the fsx.cfg file with a text editor such as notepad, and searching for the following text:

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=

By default it will be "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024" and you'll simply need to change it to read "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096" then resave the file.

The fsx.cfg file can be found in the following location: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg

By default this directory is hidden to protect its contents so you may need to 'unhide' it as described here.

With these setting, you should be able to achieve both very crisp gauge close-ups when compared to earlier Accu-Sim products...

...And panel graphics which are free of shimmering at more typical viewing ranges.

However, we'll continue to monitor feedback, and if necessary, we'll make changes such as issuing non-mipmapped textures.

Thanks,
Nick - A2A Simulations

Evanm
Airman

Re: For those experiencing blurry textures

Post by Evanm »

Hello thanks for the fix does make things better. Up close they look great but farther away in my regular flying distance not so much I can see some gauges clearly but the engine instruments are still sorta blurry. I have checked my A2A 172 and the Comanche and they appear to be fine.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the feedback Evanm,

Any other comments on the matter from customers are welcomed in this thread. Obviously it may be difficult to come up with a solution which will please everyone, but we'll do our best. :wink:

Nick

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Post by wothan »

Increasing the texture resolution t0 4096x4096 can be bad for the 32bit sims, like FSX and FSX:SE, cause it can (and probably will) trigger OOM's.
Not that this setting not only affects the A2A Bonanza textures, but also scenery and other aircraft textures and thus put a higher load on Your system.

I think a better solution would be to make the use of Mimaps optional via the A2A Bonanza configurator.
Without Mimmaps I get crisp and clear textures in the Bonanza, even at 1024x1024 texture resolution.

FinnJ
When I like to do basic flying, I turn to A2A Aircraft, cause A2A "basic" flying means "complex" procedures.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Hi Nick

as I'm running FSX SE I had the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 set all the time, also my Global Texture Resulution is set to max. It has been blurry since day 1. Actually, I thought about going for the glasses I'm probably going to need soon anyway(I'm 42) but then I read that others have the same problem.
Any change for a guide to the "Mimmaps thingy" ???
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

cyberpilot
Airman

Post by cyberpilot »

Thanks Nick but that doesn't work for me on P3Dv4.
I have a better than average system and already had texture settings of 4096x4096 and FXAA switched off before installing the Bonanza.
The ASI is especially blurry and I'm also getting shimmering on the annunciator panel.
No problems at all with all my other A2A aircraft.
Please expedite the mipmapping fix!

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

Sadly, this doesn't work for me. The aircraft looks very fuzzy. I even tried maxing out the settings along with the 4k texture
set in fsx.cfg and still it looked the same. I'm not sure if it's the plane, or my setup. It's been a long time since I've used FSX
and none of the autogen is loading. Not sure why, it's set to Very Dense. I'll try reinstalling FSX and everything tomorrow
and see if that fixes it.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

I replied in the other thread. I was already getting used to the blurriness until I flew the Comanche afterwards, pretty drastic difference. I already had 4096 textures in P3D, 4xSSAA, and no FXAA. Since disabling mipmaps didn't help at all in my case, would releasing the textures without the mipmaps be any different? Would it be clearer in 4k rather than my 1920x1080?

simonflight
Airman First Class

Post by simonflight »

Similar experience for me too. I use FSX SE have all the settings as recommended and I have to zoom into individual gauges to read them clearly.

Just jumped into the Cherokee and the gauges are as sharp as a sharp thing.

Cheers
Simon

flo76
Senior Airman

Post by flo76 »

for my blurries problem i just set in p3d v4.3 option the FXAA setting to off and now i have a sharp vc like all my previous a2a aircraft. if it can help anyone
Florent DUFAY

t-bone
Airman

Post by t-bone »

Count me in as one with blurry textures on the switch/button labels.

All my other A2A Cessna’s and Piper’s are crystal clear (4 aircraft). The plane overall functions great, my only concern is the blurry textures which obviously take away from the immersion. Anyway I have the DVD Version of FSX from it’s original release with all updates etc since.

My Global text Resolution was always on max settings to the right, so no change there. I did change the Texture max load to 4096 as outlined, but this made no difference so I think I will put it back to 1024 if that’s OK.

So what’s left for me to try? This Mimaps thing seems to work for some, but I don’t know what the hec that even is, I can’t seem to find it, but in all honesty I’m not comfortable experimenting as I’m bound to screw something up.

Can somebody outline a step by step for me, or is A2A going to come up with a fix maybe? Thanks

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Add me to the blurry list. After the 4096 fix the fps was faster, but the text on the dash is still pixelated.
FSX out of the box with all updates on 3.5GHz Intel i7-5930K with 16GB Ram 64bit Win7Pro and NVidia GeForce GTX-980

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

DC3 wrote:Add me to the blurry list. After the 4096 fix the fps was faster, but the text on the dash is still pixelated.
FSX out of the box with all updates on 3.5GHz Intel i7-5930K with 16GB Ram 64bit Win7Pro and NVidia GeForce GTX-980
Hi DC3,

It looks like your texture res setting reset itself back to 1024, which it will do any time you alter any of the FSX graphical settings - even changing the traffic percentage will change it back to 1024. If you go back into the FSX.cfg and change it, then avoid changing any graphics settings in FSX it should be good to go.

We are looking at options to make sure everyone's cockpit is looking as sharp as can be, especially with FSX (the boxed/DVD version) so nobody has to fiddle around with the FSX cfg file.

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

Molly - A2A wrote:It looks like your texture res setting reset itself back to 1024, which it will do any time you alter any of the FSX graphical settings - even changing the traffic percentage will change it back to 1024. If you go back into the FSX.cfg and change it, then avoid changing any graphics settings in FSX it should be good to go.

We are looking at options to make sure everyone's cockpit is looking as sharp as can be, especially with FSX (the boxed/DVD version) so nobody has to fiddle around with the FSX cfg file.
This fixed the problem for me.

Last edited by Neon on 17 Sep 2018, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

Thorsten42
Airman

Post by Thorsten42 »

Hi all,

same blurry problem here. P3D v4.3. But it is def not settings related (as usually repainters will confirm). Opened all vc textures and saved without mipmaps (they are evil gremlins and come from hell ;) ) and all fine.

Cheers
Thorsten

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”