Engine fire at startup

A Living Legend
Masterius
Senior Airman

Engine fire at startup

Post by Masterius »

In all the many hours I've flown the B-17, and the countless times I've started engines, I've never had one catch fire during startup. Is this even possible/modeled?

Chevalier

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Engine fire at startup

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Chevalier.
I would have a guess you was using real weather when this happened , and on a weekend , how many times has this happend to you sofar .

I dont recall ever having this issue , but i know my weather program ASN with FSXA has caused strange things to happen with the A2A aircraft , my theory which is unproven , is if ASN is downloading weather info from nearest weather station , and that station goes off line for maintenance , ASN then gets a corrupted incomplete data , whitch it converts to FSX weather data , and this does a temporary glitch in A2A aircraft , beacause ASN/FSX and A2A aircraft all use simconnect , with the B17 it seems to effect engines , which i have seen being destroyed in the hanger , even in cold and dark , and the P51 controls become hyper sensative to inputs , this seems to happen more at weekends than weekdays , which is when some weather stations tend to go off line for maintenance .
regards Alan. 8)

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Hi Alan

I think this is a question, not something that happens once in a while.
Can an engine fire catch fire during start up?
I don’t know, I’ve never seen it.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Tomas Linnet wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 08:05 I think this is a question, not something that happens once in a while.
Can an engine fire catch fire during start up?
I don’t know, I’ve never seen it.
Yep it was...and yes it can...
I've seen it happen on a Harvard R-1340...cold weather, over priming and a backfire is all it takes... :mrgreen:
Masterius wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 11:53 In all the many hours I've flown the B-17, and the countless times I've started engines, I've never had one catch fire during startup. Is this even possible/modeled?
alan CXA651 wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 00:20 Hi Chevalier.
I would have a guess you was using real weather when this happened , and on a weekend , how many times has this happend to you sofar ...
See above and PRTFP... :wink: :P :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

I would have a guess you was using real weather when this happened , and on a weekend , how many times has this happend to you sofar .
Ummm...it hasn't ever happened. That's what I was asking: I've never had a startup engine fire, and was wondering 1) if anyone else had ever had that happen to them (generally with an A2A aircraft and specifically the B-17) and, 2) is that even modeled?

Chevalier

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Masterius wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 11:18
Ummm...it hasn't ever happened. That's what I was asking: I've never had a startup engine fire, and was wondering 1) if anyone else had ever had that happen to them (generally with an A2A aircraft and specifically the B-17) and, 2) is that even modeled?

Chevalier
I’ve never had it happen at engine start, either. That kind of incident might depend on A2A having coded in a random fuel line break or leak at startup. Even accidentally over-priming an engine has only resulted in a non start until enough time has passed to account for evaporation. Its a good question, though!

SeattleSleeper
Airman First Class

Post by SeattleSleeper »

Maybe you had a runaway turbo. That can blow an engine up very quickly. :o

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Make sure your FSX or P3D realism settings aren't using automixture.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

Skycat wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 16:59 Make sure your FSX or P3D realism settings aren't using automixture.
SeattleSleeper wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 12:36 Maybe you had a runaway turbo. That can blow an engine up very quickly. :o
Argh!! ::bangs head on the wall::

Guys...guys...Listen. Please listen:

I haven't had an engine fire at startup.

I was asking if that was possible and had anyone had that happen to them.

Chevalier

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Masterius wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 21:22
Skycat wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 16:59 Make sure your FSX or P3D realism settings aren't using automixture.
SeattleSleeper wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 12:36 Maybe you had a runaway turbo. That can blow an engine up very quickly. :o
Argh!! ::bangs head on the wall::

Guys...guys...Listen. Please listen:

I haven't had an engine fire at startup.

I was asking if that was possible and had anyone had that happen to them.

Chevalier
I tried to point that out a while ago……oh well…… :roll:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Chevalier.
In all the sims and all the aircraft i have flown i have NEVER had an engine fire on startup , but if any engine startup fire was possible then A2A aircraft would be the best bet for it to happen on , only thing i can suggest , is leave one engine on the B17 without any maintenance on it so it deteriorates , and see if when oil and fuel leaks appear , if the engine could catch fire on startup .
regards Alan. 8)

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Sorry, I misread the OP. I'm browsing on a phone.

I'll flip what I posted earlier. If you set your mixture to automatic you very likely WILL get engine fires in the B-17 after startup. I've never seen it happen when the game is set to manual mixture though. I suppose the possibility exists, otherwise it wouldn't happen when erroneously set to auromatic.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

SeattleSleeper
Airman First Class

Post by SeattleSleeper »

Oops. Sorry, missed that. But hey, I could write a LUA script to cause a runaway turbo at startup to see if I get a fire. :twisted:

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I had a runaway turbo at startup recently. No fire. As a matter of fact, with over 2,000 hours on my engines
I have never had an engine fire.

That said, there is a great deal of code defining Engine Fires. There is a random number involved is some
sections of the code and CHT involved in other sections.

So, engine fires COULD occur at startup but without digging deeper into the code and flow charting it I would
hesitate to say anything other than fires are possible but most likely quite rare.

Paul

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

Gypsy Baron wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 12:55 I had a runaway turbo at startup recently. No fire. As a matter of fact, with over 2,000 hours on my engines
I have never had an engine fire.

That said, there is a great deal of code defining Engine Fires. There is a random number involved is some
sections of the code and CHT involved in other sections.

So, engine fires COULD occur at startup but without digging deeper into the code and flow charting it I would
hesitate to say anything other than fires are possible but most likely quite rare.

Paul

Hey Gypsy, thanks for the info!

Ummm...not wanting to sound whiney, but this isn't the first time I, or someone else, has asked a question about the B-17's coding, with nary--as in none at all--a response from A2A. I've been feeling for a long time now as if the B-17 is the black sheep of the family.

Chevalier

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”