The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
theophile
Airman

Connie questions

Post by theophile »

Hey,guys,
I have 2 questions
1.At what FL do you reduce the mixture from autorich to autolean?I used to think this was at cruise level,but
does this rule still holds when you cruise at FL 250?
Same question for the aux boost pumps.
2.What do you do when your cylinderhead temps are near the bottom of the green area,with carb heat full on,and all carb deicers on?Would you have to go down if the cylinder head temps drop further?
Thanks for any replies!

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Connie questions

Post by flapman »

Hello,
1.At what FL do you reduce the mixture from autorich to autolean?I used to think this was at cruise level,but
does this rule still holds when you cruise at FL 250?
The answer has no relation to flight level. It has to do with how much power the engines are producing. You will damage or destroy the engines if you use AUTO-LEAN with too much power.
For fuel pumps:
These pumps
are provided for use during take-off, landings and at other
times when engine-driven fuel pumps will not maintain 16
lb/sq in. fuel pressure. - A2A Manual.
2.What do you do when your cylinderhead temps are near the bottom of the green area,with carb heat full on,and all carb deicers on?Would you have to go down if the cylinder head temps drop further?
Carburetor Heat is the wrong control for this situation. You must increase power with Throttle to increase Cylinder Head Temperature. This means your descents are too steep, with too little power.

theophile
Airman

Post by theophile »

Thank you so much for your comments.This is very helpful to me,I really learned something.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

You're very welcome!

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I figure that the "Captain of the Ship's" hands are too full just flying the airplane, so I just let the Flight Engineer do his thing running those R-3350s. One advantage of this is that I sometimes get bits of useful advice from the FE, such as when we're descending, and I pull the manifold pressure back below 21" or so: "Captain, we need to increase manifold pressure..." One time I had to take control of the supercharger setting when we were taking off from a very high elevation airport somewhere in the Andes.

Meanwhile, here's a link to a pretty cool video about a copilot who became flight engineer for a day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK2SE9AdcaQ&t=31s. Same engines, just a slightly different airplane. Enjoy!

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”