Handling an Heating-Issue

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Handling an Heating-Issue

Post by cbramkamp »

Yesterday I ve welcomed the first VIP onboard on a 500nm trip. After reaching cruise altitude, a problem with the heating was issued. Cabin temperature was falling to below 0 rapidly, so I ve decided to land on next airfield. Any suggestions to solve it inflight?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Handling an Heating-Issue

Post by Scott - A2A »

Great job, no this kind of failure is not repairable in the air. You have to do what you did, observe the temperature in the cabin, outside, etc. It's possible if the heat didn't completely fail, you could choose a lower altitude where it was warmer and complete the flight. It sounds like you did the right thing.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

GrizzlyAir
Airman Basic

Post by GrizzlyAir »

I had the same issue come up on my way into Gander but there was no airfield to divert to over the ocean, so I dropped down to 5000' and it warmed the cabin up to cold instead of freezing. I landed at Gander and took the blame in my career. Ah well.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I take back what I said above, COTS sees a heating malfunction as a problem that you should land at the next available airport. The more I think of it, a malfunctioning heater could lead to more serious things. Personally, as a captain, I would land as soon as possible if there was a heating malfunction if we didn't know precisely why.

So if you do have a heating malfunction, don't keep flying to your destination, land at the closest airport but no need to make an emergency descent. Just expedite it without subjecting the passengers to rapid cabin pressurization changes.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I was just starting downhill a few flights ago and my heater failed. I made an expedited descent to 3,000 AGL where the heater was able to keep the cabin at 21C. I flew for 70-80 miles this was as there was no suitable airfield closer than where I was headed. Does COTS consider whether an airfield is suitable or just look at the nearest? I was not dinged in my flight log for my actions on this flight.

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

WB_FlashOver wrote:I flew for 70-80 miles this was as there was no suitable airfield closer than where I was headed. Does COTS consider whether an airfield is suitable or just look at the nearest? I was not dinged in my flight log for my actions on this flight.
Yes, the crew is aware of the surrounding suitable airports and if you can make it there with a reasonable descent, so if you just keep blowing by good candidates, management will consider you not making the best choice.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”