P3Dv6

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Rogen
Airman Basic

Re: P3Dv6

Post by Rogen »

I'm still going strong with P3D myself.

It's nice to have a whole hanger of aircraft inc. A2A's fleet (notice the word "Fleet") and below are a few of those A2A I enjoy :-)

A2A's P51 Civ, where I found out P51's need around 10,000 feet for stall recovery.

A2A's 182 with custom grey panel, this one also has oxygen added to allow higher flying without passing out.

And finally the A2A piper, I do have many other of A2A's aircraft though.

Cheers

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I have found one airplane that I cannot use in P3D6. Its the Virtualcol CJR. As soon as I start it the CPU utilization goes to 100% and stays there until the CPU gets too hot and throttles itself back. One symptom of that about to happen is the scenery looses almost all detail and the program gets locked up repeatedly. I suspect that the coding for this airplane goes back to FSX and uses just one core, but who knows for sure.. Too bad because for the money the CJR is not too bad.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Right now I've got P3D v5 working perfectly on my 2016 Jetline 'puter. My main programs are P3D, with A2A aircraft, followed by Active Sky and ORBX. Also my RXP GTN 650 and 750. Once that I am totally sure that ALL of those things will work in v6, I'll make the switch. I might even get a new Jetline with v6 installed.

Meanwhile, I'm not switching until all my favorite stuff is working in v6.

MSFS? NFW - it doesnt support Army 155, which is my favorite airplane in the whole world.

FTW

Seeya
ATB

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

About the thermal paste - even high quality paste will degrade over time. It’s kind of a suspension of microparticles in silicone oil and the oil can dry and thicken. The thermal paste also “moves” a little each thermal cycle and is part of the “break-in” time where a new paste job increases in thermal conductivity for a short while but also contributes to conductivity lowering over time.

Lots of words but an older install of even quality thermal paste can lose heat transfer ability as it ages. If you find the need to get more thermal headroom, that might be a good place to find some. Also, many heat sinks and fans get crusted up with dust and lint which can also compromise the ability to get rid of heat. A good cleaning can also help.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

AerialShorts wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 09:04 About the thermal paste - even high quality paste will degrade over time. It’s kind of a suspension of microparticles in silicone oil and the oil can dry and thicken. The thermal paste also “moves” a little each thermal cycle and is part of the “break-in” time where a new paste job increases in thermal conductivity for a short while but also contributes to conductivity lowering over time.

Lots of words but an older install of even quality thermal paste can lose heat transfer ability as it ages. If you find the need to get more thermal headroom, that might be a good place to find some. Also, many heat sinks and fans get crusted up with dust and lint which can also compromise the ability to get rid of heat. A good cleaning can also help.
First off I apologize for hi-jacking this thread with this sub-thread.

I see the concerns about my thermal paste and system performance. So, today during my flight from CYGR to CYJT to CYYR I started HWMonitor once at cruise. About 1.5 hours into flight I took this screenshot.

This is MSFS with most all settings on Ultra. HT is enabled on CPU. This is on a 1440P, 120MHz, 1ms monitor. CPU temps run an average of 50-52C.

In P3Dv4.x, with HT enabled, everything is just fine while on the ground. As soon as I ascend to 300ft AGL and above the CPU goes to 141% utilization on all threads and 100C. With HT disabled the CPU runs as normal. Again, for me FSX / P3D has never run well with HT.

As far as my system and the thermal paste... would it help to replace it? That is a good question. Maybe, maybe not. Is 50-52C a high temp for MSFS under these graphics settings? I'd say it's really good, even for a custom dual loop system. Would replacing the paste drop my temps a couple of degrees? Again, maybe and maybe not.
My system video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S9fLBHw1Mo
System as it currently runs with 3080 Ti installed https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nfx7uvqt ... 6kyij&dl=0

Keeping a system at peak performance is a good idea. Tinkering with this and that in hopes of loosing 1-2C or gaining 2-3 FPS is something I used to do but not these days :wink: By the way, what do you think of the max clock on core #6? 8) A fluke for sure but is it bragging rights worthy :lol:

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”